March 06, 2009

Charlie Brown Junipers


I got my first-ever ordered-online plants in the mail. I knew they were going to be small, but let’s just say I’m going to have to be very patient in waiting for them to grow to any substantial size.

I ordered Spartan Junipers for the side of my yard that I wrote about a few entries ago. After doing a lot of research about what type of evergreen plant could help set off the entrance/exit and help create a focal point away from the composting bins, wood pile, and air conditioning units, I decided these were the right plants for the space. They love the sun, they are drought tolerant, and their growth habit should fit the space without overwhelming it.

It’s encouraging to know that the Spartan Juniper is a fast grower. And, I will tell you from past experience that buying large is not always what it’s cracked up to be. About five years ago my husband planted a Live Oak tree in our backyard. For budget reasons (and based on what we had read in landscaping books) we bought a small sapling. My backyard neighbors paid the big bucks and bought a Live Oak tree about ten times the size of ours. In the last five years not only has our tree surpassed theirs, but I daresay ours looks healthier.

So, I am going to remind myself of that when I plant these little beauties today. They will have little or no presence whatsoever when I put them in the ground. In fact, I might have to put a sign out there reminding my family not to step on them!

That’s okay. I still think it’s the right plant for the space even if they currently resemble the infamous Charlie Brown Christmas tree. I’ll give them the best soil rich in organic material, tap my heels together three times and chant, “Grow, grow, grow!”

It’s worth a try.

No comments: