March 04, 2009

Biting off more than I can chew?

If you read my last few posts you’ll notice that I have two good-sized landscaping projects on my to-do list: revamping my side yard and new landscaping around a yet-to-be-built pool. These are pretty good sized projects. Oh…did I forget to mention that I actually have two additional projects I want to get done this spring? Yes, there are FOUR total projects.

Breathe in. Breathe out. Ahem. Yes, I can do this. Repeat after me: “Serenity now.”

A flower bed in my front yard needs overhauling and when we’re done installing the pool, the side fence will be relocated creating the need for overhauling a bed on the street side of the yard. Did I tell you that our house sits on a corner lot – a half acre corner lot? Oh…and that reminds me. There are actually five projects. My husband wants to rip out the scraggly-looking shrubs on the west side of the house and replace them with oleander.

So, yeah…it’s a lot of projects. Maybe I’ve bitten off more than I can chew. Nonetheless, I am still optimistic because I have a plan. The plan is to enlist the help of my husband (he doesn’t know this yet), take it one step at a time, and one area at a time. Plus, I’ve also done a lot of research on the plants I want and, to me, that is half the battle.

I’m pretty excited about the front yard bed project. In fact, I think I can whip that out in one morning. I’m trying something I’ve never done before. I ordered a fully landscaped bed from an online supplier this year. Spring Hill Nursery (www.springhillnursery.com) offers pre-planned gardens complete with a planting guide as well as the plants. My bed gets full sun, so I ordered the drought-tolerant sun garden. I’m cautiously optimistic about my results (maybe because I’m a newbie to this sort of gardening…could be a fiasco…dunno).

I’m also excited about my projects because I’m going to be blogging about them. I’ll write about the good, the bad and the ugly and I’ll be taking a lot of pictures. I really think it’s going to help me a ton. I am a very visual person and I think picture documentation will be huge.

Finally, I hope anyone who is reading this blog will feel free to offer their insights as well. I am all ears as to what plants work and what don’t. I want to hear from you!

Let’s get started!

No comments: